|With High Winds in Forecast, Southern California Edison Reminds Customers
ROSEMEAD, Calif., Dec. 15, 2011 — With high winds forecast through Saturdayin many areas, Southern California Edison (SCE) reminds its customers outages may occur – and to never approach or touch downed power lines.
If you see a downed line or dangling wire — even if it appears not to be live — don’t touch or approach it and call 911 immediately.
SCE is reaching out to local elected officials and community leaders to establish clear channels of communication. The most up-to-date information will be shared with the community throughout the storm. SCE also will provide the latest information about outages at www.sce.com and on Twitter at www.Twitter.com/SoCalEdison.
The National Weather Service is forecasting strong winds in Los Angeles, San Bernardino, Riverside, Orange, Santa Barbara and Ventura counties through Saturday, including in the mountains, passes and canyons.
Customer safety is a top priority for SCE. Here are important tips to keep in mind:
· Watch for traffic signals that may be out. Approach those intersections as four-way stops.
· Make sure you have a battery-operated radio and flashlights. Check the batteries to make sure they are fresh. Use flashlights for lighting during a power outage; do not use candles because they may pose a significant fire hazard.
· Do not use any equipment inside that is designed for outdoor heating or outdoor cooking. Such equipment can emit carbon monoxide and other toxic gases.
· If you use a generator, place it outdoors and plug individual appliances directly into the generator, using a heavy-duty extension cord. Connecting generators directly to household circuits creates “backfeed,” which is dangerous to repair crews.
· Leave the doors of your refrigerator and freezer closed to keep your food as fresh as possible. Place blocks of ice inside to help keep food cold. Check food carefully for signs of spoilage.
· Check on your neighbors to make sure everyone is safe.
About Southern California Edison
An Edison International (NYSE:EIX) company, Southern California Edison is one of the nation’s largest electric utilities, serving a population of nearly 14 million via 4.9 million customer accounts in a 50,000-square-mile service area within Central, Coastal and Southern California.