Check out current Opportunities and Apply Now.
Volunteers are the heart and soul of the American Red Cross. Volunteers are needed in all areas of service to the community. If you are interested in volunteer opportunities , please contact Katie Kang, Director of Volunteers and Youth Services at (562) 490-4014 or by email.
We have many different areas of service and volunteer opportunities. The first step in becoming a volunteer for the Greater Long Beach Chapter is setting up an appointment to attend a Volunteer Orientation. The orientation is an hour and will discuss the many areas of services and the training and requirements to start your volunteering. At that time you will also be asked to sign a background check waiver.
We Depend on Volunteers
Volunteers constitute 96 percent of our total work force to carry on our humanitarian work:
- Every year Red Cross volunteers respond to more than 70,000 disasters—including approximately 150 home fires every day.
- About 11 million Americans turn to us to learn first aid, CPR, swimming, and other health and safety skills. Last year, more than 158,000 people volunteered to teach those courses.
- Half the nation's blood supply— six million pints annually— is collected by more than 155,000 Red Cross volunteers.
- Among our emergency services for the men and women of the armed forces is the delivery of urgent family messages—around the clock and around the globe.
- More than 30,900 volunteers serve as chairs, members of boards of directors, or on advisory boards for local Red Cross units - chapters, Blood Services regions, and military stations.
- As part of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement, Red Cross reconnects more than 8,000 families separated by conflicts and disasters around the world through international tracking services and Red Cross messages.
- The Red Cross currently engages over 169,000 youth and young adults with meaningful opportunities for education, training, and volunteer/community service so that they remain a part of the Red Cross family throughout their lives.